Saturday, September 3, 2011

A word on Japanese Wildlife (free-form)

The short topic today is Japanese crows. Yup, that's right, glossy black feathered birds that travel in murders and happen to be my very favorite winged friends (who wouldn't love something as fascinated with shiny objects as they are...besides, crows are kind of like cinderella, and I had this dream once...). Haha, to return to the point, there's no picture here yet, though I'll post one if I manage to take one. Japanese crows sound different. I don't know if they really say "baka" (anime reference), though multiple cultures seem to suggest that these lively, intelligent birds are mocking, haughty, and tend to basically spend there time making fun of humans. Still, they certainly don't sound like American crows. Rather than the gravelly caw of the American crow, here there is a sort of throaty "raw" sound, which somehow seems reminiscent of the sound a bullfrog would make when it realized it couldn't fly. Well, anyway, the crow speak a different language for sure, even if the dogs I've met so far (which hardly count as wildlife) seem to speak similarly to their American counterparts.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the same thing when I was in Tokyo. At the time, there was, much debate over whether the crows were in fact crows (i.e. were they ravens, rooks...other black birds) and whether Japan just had a different species of crow. Though after evolutionary biology, I am beginning to suspect genetic drift and sexual selection.

    Oh, by the way, this is Charlene of the insane asymmetric Emory variety.

    ReplyDelete